March 11th, 2010 by J
This is a very useful post i discoverd on the Joomla forum while on the hunt.
Thanks to all the guys at the Joomla Forum.
The following tutorial is released under the Joomla! Electronic Documentation License.
This document will lead you through the process of using the Joomla! 1.5 Random Image module to display a different random image, from a specific directory on each page load.
The following is a step by step guide that will lead you through the process:
1. Install Joomla! 1.5, install the sample data and set up your administrator account details as you will need these later.
2. The Random Image module is installed with the default Joomla! template. So it is not necessary to install the module separately.
3. Browse to the index of your new Joomla! Installation and log in to the administrator area of your Joomla! installation using the administrator link on the menu to the left hand side of the page. Use the details you set up you used earlier to set up your administrator account.
4. Select “Module Manager” from the “Extensions” drop down box on the menu towards the top of the page.
5. Click on the “Random Image” module from the list of modules. You may have to browse to the second page of modules to see this depending how many modules you have Joomla! set to list per page.
6. The Random Image module allows you to show a different random image, from a directory of images, on each page load. You can choose which pages on the site you wish the random image module to appear on using “Menu Assignment” options. For the purpose of this guide we want the random images to appear on each page. So, find the “Menus” set of radio buttons and click the one labeled “All”.
7. You can configure the parameters of the module in the “Module Parameters” section. Make sure “Image Type” is set to “jpg”. For example, set “Image Folder” to “images/stories/food” and set “Link” to “http://www.joomla.org”. Finally, set “Width (px)” and “Height (px)” to “100”. This will ensure all the images are displayed at the same size, 100 pixels in both height and width. The link can be internal or external to the site.
8. Select “Save” from the top right menu to save your changes to the module.
9. Now click the “Preview” link on the top right of the screen and you will return to the index page of your Joomla! installation. At the right of the page you will see the random image area. In this area you will see pictures of food from the joomla sample images provided, scaled to 100px in both dimensions. If you click on the image you will be taken to the Joomla! homepage. Finally, refresh the page and you will see that the image changes.
Congratulations. You have now successfully learned how to use the Random Image module of your Joomla! 1.5 installation.