October 18th, 2009 by J
Whats this all about…..
Every time I have an issue with my computer hardware/software, one of the first places I head for is the great wide web in search on answers. Usually I find them but it can take a little while to get there and usually I find four or five possible answers spread over different forums around the net.
My idea was to try and pool some of these ideas in to some sort of coherent posts. What follows is by no means always going to suit your problem and I take no responsibility for anything you do to your computer it is purely a list of possible answers that may help in your fault finding or strike a cord. If you have any other ideas, comments or advice please feel free to add it into comments and I shall add it to the post.
#1 You switch on your computer and a couple of seconds later it switches off (before Bios or beep).
- Heat – Sounds dumb but your PSU and Motherboard have thermal cutouts and in the height of a hot summer could heat could cause an issue
- Power outlet – Try a different socket
- Dodgy power switch – Try an air duster to clean it or purchase a new case switch (takes about 5mins to replace)
- Dodgy reset switch – as above
- Incorrect PSU size – **This may only apply if you have just added a piece of hardware or replaced your PSU check the wattage of the PSU and and the demands of your system**
- PSU on the way out – Find a similar PSU, hook it up and test it. If it works Time to crack out the credit card and get yourself a new PSU remember to take note of the voltage and connectors needed.
- CPU fan/heat sink issue – If you have been moved the CPU fan lead may have become dislodged or your CPU fan may be dying and the Motherboards protection is kicking in. Check the CPU fan/heat sink leads or try a different Fan/heat sink
- Motherboard dying – If you can get hold of a spare or test your PSU on another computer this should help yo narrow it down. Sorry time for a new motherboard
Before replacing anything Be sure that you know what you are doing and make sure you unplug your computer before poking about inside.
For more advice and help, below are a couple of forums that have proved useful to me.
Tech Support forum
Hope this helps.
October 2nd, 2009 by J
Hi all, Thought I would do another round up of Internet goodies that I have found on my travels around that there interweb.
First of all a little site with some great design items Bathrooms of the future, I must say I really like some of the ideas on this site especially the first one. Sticking with the sort of Sci-fi/future theme I would like a generous sort to buy me one of these as a prezzie for my next birthday in return i shall bring you a stick of rock. For the conspiracy theorists among you this next site will help you come to terms with the whole cow alien thing.
Coming down slightly more to earth this next site gave me a great chuckle (especially the last one) having heard a lot of air traffic chatter followed by guy in this article who is just my IDOL.
A Few comic ones to round of this week Cyanide and Happines love the Iphone, I am considering buying both of these one to keep handy in the car and the other to keep on the wall in my office and finally one for the geeks AD&D 8bit style.
That’s it for this week more next Friday, have a good weekend.
October 1st, 2009 by J
Well What can I say a new Artemis Fowl has hit the shelves, Been bought and read already. As many of you know I am a great lover of the Fowl books and find them entertaining and easy to read and this one is no different.
If you are looking for high brow reading then forget it this is as simple as it gets. Fairy’s, trolls, guns, magic and an annoying centaur make up this story and i for one love it.
Basic Plot is that Artemis’s mother is Very ill with a condition that threatens not only humans but the fairy world as well. He and Holly short must travel back in time to rescue a cure but with Artemis up against himself and and old adversary making an appearance it could all come to a terrible halt.
If you have read any of the previous books then you know what to expect. The LEPrecon troop doesn’t make much of an appearance in this one but the story survives with both Artemis and Holly being a little older and wiser and Mulch Diggums being just as Flatulent.
Eoin Colfer’s writing style remains the same with the books being aimed at a younger audience but with a bit in there for the adults too and awaken your inner child. The book also comes with an extra story inside which gives you a taster insight into Holly and her early days in recon (an off shoot series possibly?) which gives a nice ending to a great book.
At £8.44 for the Hardcover or £4.45 for the paperback you cant go wrong.